Real Name: Maximus Boltagon
Search for 'Maximus (Marvel)' on Amazon
Maximus has the previously oppressed power of limited mind control.
Maximus was briefly the leader of the Inhumans while his brother, Black Bolt, went into exile, daring not to use his dangerous voice. Maximus believed that the Inhumans were the greater form of life on Earth and he set out to rule them and to destroy humankind to retake the planet. As their leader, he sent his fellow Inhuman Gorgon after Medusa, who was suffering with amnesia and working with the Frightful Four. She ran from Gorgon, but was soon captured when he and the rest of her Inhuman family caught up with her. Together, they returned to Attilan and faced the crowned Maximus.
He announced to his brother that he was the new ruler and that he would marry Medusa, which was the reason he sent Gorgon after her. But Black Bolt struck out and took his crown back, by force, making him the leader of the Inhumans again. Maximus began to fawn over him, explaining that he only kept the crown and Attilan safe for Black Bolt’s return. This fooled no one and Maximus was soon forced to reveal his captive, Triton, who had been brought to him by the Seeker. Then, while the rest of the Inhumans confronted the Fantastic Four - who had followed the Seeker back to the Great Refuge - Maximus announced that he would set off his hidden atmo-gun that would create vibrations in the Earth’s atmosphere to kill off only the humans.
Maximus fired his weapon, and in disgust his brother dealt him a blow that knocked him off his feet. But soon, his weapon’s ineffectualness proved that humans and Inhumans were originally of the same species. When Medusa explained this to him, he went insane and reversed the power of his atmo-gun, creating a Negative Zone around Attilan, trapping the Inhumans within it for some time while the Fantastic Four escaped. Maximus became lost in his madness, babbling about becoming King one day and creating strange inventions. One of which was a very helpful device that allowed his cousin Triton to breathe air like any other Inhuman. But though he continued to taunt his fellow Inhumans, saying that only he knew how to break the barrier around Attilan, Black Bolt soon revealed the secret that only Maximus and Medusa knew: that he remained silent because the merest whisper from his lips would cause immense destruction. He announced this by destroying the barrier around the city, freeing the Inhumans to once again walk the human world. Then their Council of Elders announced that they wished the royal family to split up and explore the human world, which Black Bolt agreed to, and they sped off. Maximus was left in the city, rambling that he now had his chance to reclaim the crone and rule the Inhumans.
He later recovered enough of his sanity to use his scientific genius to capture the Inhuman royal family and retake the Inhuman crown. Maximus also used Lockjaw, along with the Alpha Primitives, to capture Crystal - who had become a member of the Fantastic Four - and brought her back to Attilan. He then sent the primitive, android Zorr, created to destroy the Fantastic Four, against them. But Black Bolt soon used his powerful voice to free the royal family, and Crystal destroyed Maximus' massive hypno-ray, which he had intended to use against all of mankind. Maximus quickly escaped in a hidden rocket with a collection of Inhumans loyal to him.
Full name mentioned in Dark Reign Files.
First Appearance: Fantastic Four (1961) #47
Prophet (Marvel)(Secret War)
Maximus (Marvel) is a favorite character of 5 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
All-New Invaders (2014)
Amazing Adventures (1970)
#1 Astonishing X-Men (2017)
- 'Beware ... The Inhumans! / The Sting of the Black Widow!'#2
- 'Friend Against Friend'#5
- 'If Black Bolt Speaks, A City Dies!'#6
- 'Hell on Earth'
#28 Avengers World (2014)
- 'The Case'#40
- 'We Three Kings'#41
- 'Over There'#44
- 'One Was Life. One Was Death.'
#18 Black Bolt (2017)
- 'Before Time Runs Out: Part Two'#21
- 'Before Time Runs Out: Part Five'
Black Panther (1998)
#36 Dark Reign Files (2009)
- '100 Page Monster Issue Celebrating T'Challa's 35th Anniversary!'
Death of Inhumans (2018)
#1 Die Spinne (1974)
- 'Death of the Inhumans Chapter One: "Vox"'#4
- 'Death of the Inhumans Chapter Four: "Roar"'
#136 Fantastic Four (1961)
- 'Schüsse im Central Park!'
#47 Fantastic Four (1998)
- 'Beware the Hidden Land!'#48
- 'The Coming of Galactus!'#52
- 'The Black Panther!'#54
- 'Whosoever Finds the Evil Eye--!'#56
- 'Klaw The Murderous Master Of Sound!'#57
- 'Enter... Dr. Doom!'#59
- 'The Mark of -- The Madman!'#83
- 'Shall Man Survive?'#131
- 'Revolt in Paradise!'#132
- 'Omega! The Ultimate Enemy!'#150
- 'Ultron-7: He'll Rule the World!'#158
- 'Invasion From the 5th (Count It, 5th!) Dimension'#240
- 'At the Mercy of Maximus!'#577
- 'Universal Inhumans'#601
- 'Forever, Part 2'#602
- 'Forever, Part 3'#603
- 'Forever, Part 4'
#42 Fantastic Four Unlimited (1993)
- 'A Clear & Present Danger'#43
- 'And the Walls Came Tumbling Down'#44
Fantastic Four: Atlantis Rising (1995)
Fantastic Four: Fireworks (1999)
#1 FF (2011)
#5 FF (2013)
- '...The Sound of War'#6
- 'Two Kings'#7
- 'The Supremor Seed'#9
- 'Burn It Down'
#10 Guardians of the Galaxy (2008)
- 'Paint It Black'#11
- 'The Possible Boy'#12
- 'Mind Mischief'#13
- 'Moloid See, Moloid Do'#15
- 'Operation: Latveria'
#1#2 Infinity Incoming! (2013)
- 'Kingdoms Fall'#5
- 'The Left Hand of Death'#6
TPB Inhuman (2014)
- 'Infinity Incoming!'
#6 Inhumanity (2014)
- 'Trial by Fire'#7
- 'Part 7: Out Of The Darkness'#8
- 'Part 8: Comes the Light'
#1 Inhumans (1998)
- 'Spawn of Alien Heat'#4
- 'The Doom Called Shatterstar!'#5
- 'Voices From a Galaxy's End'#6
- 'A King of Ruins'
#1 Inhumans (2000)
- 'Sonic Youth'#2
- 'Ghost in the Machine'#4
- 'Chinese Whispers'#5
- 'First Contact'#6
- 'Welcome to the Jungle'#7
- 'Coming Apart At the Seams...(Everything Happens at Once)'#8
- 'A Window to the Soul'#11
- 'Plan 'A''#12
- 'Plan 'B''
#1 Inhumans (2003)
- 'The Stars Our Destiny'#2
- 'Sons of Hala and Rhiannon'#3
- 'The Darkest Hour'
Inhumans Prime (2017)
Inhumans Special (1990)
#1 Inhumans: Judgment Day (2018)
- 'Remembrances of Revolutions Past'
Inhumans: Once and Future Kings (2017)
Marvel Encyclopedia (2002)
Marvel Encyclopedia (2014)
Marvel Masterworks: The Fantastic Four (2003)
Marvel Super-Heroes (1967)
Marvel Tales (1964)
#125 Marvel Team-Up (1972)
- 'Jackal, Jackal... Who's Got the Jackal?'
#11 Marvel's Greatest Comics (1969)
- 'The Doomsday Gambit!'
New Avengers (2013)
#7 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A To Z Update (2010)
- 'What Maximus Made'#9
- 'The Cull Obsidian'#10
- 'The Thanos Seed'#11
- 'See How the Swans Fly'#18
- 'Into the Breach'#19
- 'We Are All Monsters Now'#21
- 'The Bomb'#23
- 'All the Angels Have Fallen'#24
- 'The Cabal'
#4 Realm of Kings: Inhumans (2010)
- 'The Inhuman Race'#5
- 'Mad City'#6
- '...Mists and Tempests...'#10
- 'Live Kree of Die! 3 of 4: Blue Moon'
#1 Royals (2017)
- 'Duty Calls'#2
- 'High and Mighty'#3
- 'Weapons of Mass Distraction'#4
- 'Devices & Desires'#5
#2 Secret Invasion: Inhumans (2008)
- 'We Are The Dead'#3
- 'Tomorrow's Never There'#4
- 'Dust and Roses'#5
- 'The Center of Things'#6
- 'The Strangers Came Today'#7
- 'Look at Those Cavemen Go'#8
- 'Crack in the Sky'#9#10
- 'We Could Steal Time'#11
- 'As Though Nothing Could Fall'#12
- 'From Kether to Malkuth'
#1 Secret Invasion: War of Kings (2009)
- 'Family: Chapter 1'#2
- 'Family: Chapter 2'#3
- 'Family: Chapter 3'#4
- 'Family: Chapter 4'
Secret Wars (2015)
#1 Silent War (2007)
- 'The End Times'#2
- 'Doom Messiah'#3
- 'The Eye of Doom'#4
- 'All the Angels Sing, All the Devils Dance'#6
- 'We Raise Them Up... Just So We Can Pull Them Down.'#7
- 'King of the Dead'
#2 Silver Surfer (1968)
- 'Act Two: The Child'#3
- 'Act 3: The Mother'#4
- 'Act 4: The Lover'#5
- 'Act Five: The Hero'#6
- 'Act Six: The Madman'
#18 Strange Tales (2009)
- 'To Smash the Inhumans!'
Thanos Sourcebook (2010)
The Avengers (1963)
Annual 12 The Best of Marvel Comics (1987)
- 'Something Inhuman This Way Comes..!'#127
- 'Bride and Doom!'
The Incredible Hulk (1968)
Special 01 The Inhumans • A Marvel Graphic Novel (1988)
- 'A Refuge Divided!'#119
- 'At the Mercy of-- Maximus the Mad!'#120
- 'On the Side of... ...the Evil Inhumans!'
The Inhumans: The Great Refuge (1995)
The Marvel Encyclopedia (2006)
HC The Mighty World of Marvel (2009)
- 'The Marvel Encyclopedia'
#14 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (1983)
- 'The Mighty Avengers And The Inhumans!'#18
- 'Black Bolt versus Vulcan... to the Death!'
#5 The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition (1985)
- 'H-J: From Hangman to Juggernaut'#7
- 'M: From Mandarin to Mystique'
The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Master Edition (1990)
The Thanos Imperative (2010)
The Uncanny Inhumans (2015)
#149 War of Kings (2009)
- 'When Falls a Hero!'
TPB War of Kings Saga (2009)
- 'War of Kings'#1
- 'Every Last One of Them'#3
- 'The Head That Wears The Crown'#5
- 'In Rage and Blood and Fire'#6
- 'Power Levels Rising. Twenty-Three Percent. Twenty-Five Percent...'
War of Kings: Who Will Rule? (2009)
Women of Marvel (2011)
Women of Marvel Digital (2010)
Cabal (Marvel)(02 - Time Runs Out/Secret Wars)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character