Search for 'Anton Arcane' on Amazon
All of Arcane's powers are sorcerous in nature. He has the ability to raise the dead to a semblance of life.
Arcane is an evil sorcerer/scientist who creates a group of monsters that he dubs the Un-Men. One of his creations is the Patchwork Man, a creature intentionally similar to Frankenstein's monster; the Patchwork Man had once been Anton's own brother, Gregori.
Arcane is obsessed with the swamp creature called Swamp Thing. He takes control of Swamp Thing's body, but is defeated and falls out of a window to his apparent death. He survives, though his injuries are so severe that he orders a few of his Un-Men build him a new body. He then attacks Swamp Thing twice more before truly dying, after which his soul goes to Hell.
Arcane's soul later escapes from Hell, and takes over the body of Matt Cable, who has been married to Gregori Arcane's daughter Abby. Arcane combines his own magic with Cable's inherent psychic powers to battle the Swamp Thing, but is instead exorcised directly back to Hell. Cable later becomes comatose and dies, whereupon he becomes Matthew, a raven living within The Dreaming.
Arcane next appears as a demon, having been promoted to this status by the Lords of Hell. He attacks Swamp Thing yet again, only to be defeated. In a later episode, Arcane temporarily repents his evil ways after having briefly found God, who eventually banishes him back to Hell. Arcane is tortured by the demon Josephine, whom he seduces into helping him escape. Swamp Thing defeats the two demons, causing their forms to morph together, and when last seen, it is revealed that the Arcane/Josephine being is pregnant.
First Appearance: Swamp Thing (1972) #1
Anton Arcane is a favorite character of 3 users
View a chronological listing of this character's appearances
DC Comics Classics Library (2009)
DC Sampler (1983)
Die großen Phantastic-Comics (1980)
#56 Hellblazer (1988)
- 'Storm: Der menschliche Planet'#57
- 'Sumpfding: Ein Leben für die Ewigkeit'
House of Secrets (1956)
#140 Lo Mejor de Vertigo (2005)
- 'Reprise:The Patchwork Man'
Rämeen olento (2010)
#2 Secret of the Swamp Thing (2005)
- 'Toinen kirja'#3
- 'Kolmas kirja'
Swamp Thing (1972)
#1 Swamp Thing (1985)
- 'Dark Genesis!'#2
- 'The Man Who Wanted Forever'#3
- 'The Patchwork Man'#10
- 'The Man Who Would Not Die!'
Annual 02 Swamp Thing (1987)
- 'Down Amongst The Dead Men'Annual 02 (Newsstand Edition)
- 'Down Amongst The Dead Men'HC vol. 06
- 'Book Six'#59
- 'The Thinker'#76
- 'L'Adoration De La Terre'#82
- 'Brothers in Arms, Part Two'#83
- 'Brothers in Arms, Part One'#84
- 'Final Payment'#88
- 'Survival of the Fittest'#89
- 'Founding Fathers'#90
- 'Hell to Pay'#97
- 'Scattered Houses'#98
- 'Family Reunion'#112
- 'All the Swamp King's Men'#125
- 'Family Reunion'#129
- 'Swamp Fever'#135
- 'Marital Problems'#136
- 'Dead Relatives!'#138
- 'And in the End...'#154
- 'River Run, Chapter Three: The Bad Seed'#167
- 'Trial By Fire, Part 2: Word of God'#168
- 'Trial By Fire, Part 3: The Last Temptation of Anton'#171
- 'Trial By Fire'
Swamp Thing (2004)
TPB vol. 02 Swamp Thing - Das Ding aus den Sümpfen (1990)
- 'Love In Vain'#8
- 'Missing Links, Conclusion'#9
- 'Love in Vain, Chapter 1'#10
- 'Love in Vain, Chapter 2'#11
- 'Love in Vain, Chapter 3'#12
- 'Love in Vain, Chapter IV'#23
- 'The Bleeding Raconteur, Part Three: Letting Go'
Swamp Thing: The Bronze Age Omnibus (2017)
The DC Comics Encyclopedia (2004)
HC The Saga of Swamp Thing (1982)
- 'The DC Comics Encyclopedia'HC
- 'The DC Comics Encyclopedia: Updated And Expanded'
The Vertigo Encyclopedia (2008)
HC Vertigo Secret Files and Origins: Swamp Thing (2000)
- 'The Vertigo Encylopedia'
Who's Who in the DC Universe (1990)
#15 Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe (1985)
- 'Abby Arcane to Tim Hunter'
Swamp Thing (1982)
The Return of Swamp Thing (1989)
Video Game Appearances:
Swamp Thing (1992)
Famous Quotes: - Add a Famous Quote
< Previous Character | Next Character >
Add this character to a run of issues in a title
Suggest an image for this character
View the contribution history for this character